Friday, July 9, 2010

More Breakfast

I have a sneaking suspicion that a great number of my posts will center around breakfast foods. I love breakfast, I can't help it. I am known for ordering omelets for dinner. My sister Christina had a great post recently about "Brinner"-- check it out at luciandme.blogspot.com. I had never heard the term Brinner before, she is younger and cooler than me. I just call it Breakfast for Dinner. Anyways, I love breakfast and I love breakfast food. Am I getting this message across?

This morning I made these yummy blueberry lemon scones.



Yes Connie, I made these THIS morning. They only take about 10 minutes to mix and I threw them in the oven while I was in the shower! I actually took the timer into the bathroom so I wouldn't miss the beep! If you want to make them in the morning don't forget to throw your stick of butter (don't worry, you only need half of it) in the freezer the night before because you need it frozen for the recipe.


I adapted the recipe from a strawberry scone recipe on skinnytaste.com (one of my all time favorite websites, if you haven't been there, go NOW). I have made the strawberry scones a few times and they are always a big hit. Over the weekend while in Santa Ynez for the 4th, we came across a roadside fruit stand and they had some gorgeous blueberries so we bought a ton and I thought I would try the recipe with blueberries instead. It worked really well. We also have a lemon tree in our backyard and I thought, hey, when are blueberries and lemons bad together????

Here is the recipe:

Blueberry/Lemon Scones

Adapted from Skinnytaste.com

1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
¼ sugar + 1 tbsp for blueberries
1 tbsp coarse sugar for topping
2 tsp baking powder
¼ cup frozen butter ( I use unsalted)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract ( I love vanilla bean paste as opposed to extract)
1 tbsp lemon zest


Pre-heat the oven to 400°.

Mix blueberries with 1 tbsp of sugar and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.

Using the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour. Mix well with flour.

In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk, vanilla bean paste and lemon zest.

Using a fork, slowly stir in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, until all the mixture is moistened. Do not over work the dough. I end up haveing to use my hands a litte on this. Fold in the blueberries. It usually takes me a little extra buttermilk to get these mixed but again, try not to overwork.

Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat(best invention ever), or parchment paper. Drop 8 equal large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet (to avoid tough scones, do not press or compact). Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in the center rack 18 minutes. Remove and let them cool about 5 minutes before eating.

Serve with blueberry or mixed berry jam. The jam really takes it up a few knotches.

Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. These sound amazing! I can't wait to try...

    Also, a lemon tree in your backyard? I am so incredibly jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Do you like breakfast? 2. Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love scones! These sound really good Ange! Can you come stay with me and make me breakfast?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic Andrea! Connie mentioned in her blog, you're blogging- sooo- I just HAVE to follow my "Grandmom"!

    ReplyDelete