Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Breakfast

I will post something about our fabulous July 4th weekend but I need to organize the pictures we took. My husband was kind enough to download the photos today but I am missing some very important ones that I want to share, one of which is of a very cute cow. So, until then I want to talk about breakfast. I really do believe that it is the most important meal of the day and I never understand people who say things like "I am just not a breakfast person" or "I am just not hungry in the mornings." That is just crazy talk to me, after 12 hours of "fasting" I wake up ready for a good breakfast. I would eat breakfast for every meal if I could. I love eggs and bacon and muffins and pancakes.

While I am on the topic of a good breakfast, I don't consider cereal as a good breakfast for one reason and one reason only....the serving sizes. Are cereal companies flipping kidding me with their 3/4 cups or 1 cup serving? Do you know what 3/4 of a cup is? It is like 3 bites. SERIOUSLY. I love my cereal as much as the next person but there are literally 13 servings in one box and I can't remember the last time a box of cerael lasted me 13 servings. Maybe I should be embarrassed about that?? No, I think cereal companies need to be embarrassed. LOL

Anyway, I love me a good breakfast and this morning I was very happy with my breakfast. I made an eggwhite frittata with spinach, shallots, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, basil and asiago cheese. It was adapted from a recipe that I got from an EATZ cooking class in LA, which if you are in LA you must take a cooking class with Nikki at Eatz. She is amazing and the classes are to die for.
Here are my pretty little frittatas in their own ramekins! Aren't they adorable? I really think they are so darn precious.



I told someone at work about them, and they asked, "How do you have time in the morning for that?" Well, I am all about getting up early and making it happen, but for my breakfasts I like to have them prepped the night before. I sauteed my shallots, spinach and mushrooms in a little extra virgin olive oil, and then mixed it in a separate bowl with raw egg whites and cheese. Then the mixture sat in the fridge overnight. This morning all I had to do was pre-heat the oven and pour the mixture into the ramekins. 425 degrees for about 25 minutes and you can use whatever veggies or cheeses you want. I recommend turkey-bacon, onion and peppers with cheddar cheese, but really you can do it with anything at all! I always try to prep breakfast the night before and then prep dinner in the morning or at lunch, but more about that in later posts.

My husband also makes a great breakfast. I will share some of his specialties soon.

Have a great day! Talk soon!

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know what to say about that fritatta! What the what? I've said it before and I'll say it again....KINGS!!!

    ReplyDelete